But some things, I am happy to say, have been decided for me by tradition. Here are a few...
The Middle Name
Alexander Nicholaos, Augustus Nicholaos, Christopher Nicholaos, and Joseph Nicholaos... notice a theme? Makris tradition says that each son is given the father's first name as his middle name. So while we aren't quite sure of Baby Mak's first name, his middle name has been known for as long as his father has been around... and if Baby Mak has a brother, Brother Mak will also have the middle name Augustus. It may sound a bit repetitive, but it's a tradition, and so I kinda love it.
The Cornicello
In Italian families, mothers will often pin a small gold horn, the Cornicello, to a baby's diaper. The Cornicello protects against the "Evil Eye." Legend has it that the Evil Eye harms nursing mothers and their babies. In fact, the Evil Eye is so powerful that sometimes the Cornicello is not enough, so another line of defense is necessary: the Mano Cornuta. The Mano Cornuta is a hand gesture (gang sign?) that is made by extending only the pinkie and index finger like a pair of horns; the horns should be pointed down.
I know what you're thinking. No, I am not a wiccan. And no, I do not stir a large cauldron of boiling water while chanting, "eye of newt, and toe of frog, wool of bat, and tongue of dog!" The Cornicello is a tradition that my Longo Grandparents remember from the "Old Country." Baby Mak was given his Cornicello this Christmas by my Grandma and Papa Longo. It's already packed in my hospital bag so he can wear it home to proudly honor my grandparents.
Evil Eye ---- you've been warned!
The Coming Home Outfit
Many Mama's-to-be choose special outfits for their babies to wear home from the hospital. I was not enthusiastic about spending money on a newborn outfit that Baby Mak would only wear once and probably spit up on. Thankfully, tradition came to the rescue. My Mama gave us the "coming home" outfit that my brother, Jonathan, wore as a newborn. My Grandma Longo gave him that outfit. It is a beautiful baby blue, eyelet lace lined onesie.
And it's made by Dior. That's right. I said it. Dior. I don't own any Dior, but Baby Mak does. I really hope it's like the Oscars when we leave the hospital; I need at least one nurse to ask, "Who are you wearing?" I need to be able to say, "Oh, he's wearing Vintage Dior. Please. No pictures."
But beyond the fancy designer label, the significance of wearing home the outfit that my brother wore is far more meaningful. I know he will be with us that day and I will be so proud to tell my son one day all about his Uncle Jonathan.

i love these traditions and that he will get to wear jonathan's outfit. so sweet, danielle : )
ReplyDeleteLove all of your meaningful traditions. Baby mak is so lucky to have you two as parents....think of all the new traditions you a 3 will make.
ReplyDeleteDonnie Augustus Makris eh? I guess it does have a ring to it. - Stacie
ReplyDeleteStacie, I could never steal Chris' favorite name from you guys! Baby Donnie is all yours ;)
ReplyDelete