Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Grandma Fran

My Grandma Fran passed away today. She was a Wife of 59 years, a Mother to 3, a Grandma to 6, and a Great Grandma to 1. She will be remembered for her most important job - taking care of her family. And a big part of that job involved making sure everyone was well fed, and she did a darn good job of it. I am thankful for each treat from her Grandma Goodie Jar, every holiday meal at her house, and for the day she taught me how to make sauce and meatballs. Grandmas are supposed to spoil you rotten, and mine not only did that with food, but also with love. She sent cards at Halloween with $20 bills and instructions to "treat yourself to an ice-cream soda." This was particularly hilarious as an 8 year old when I thought a slurpee was an ice-cream soda and I knew they cost a whole lot less than $20. From what I hear from my Dad and my Uncles, she was a sassy, tough Mama, but she couldn't have been a more sweet, kind, proud Grandma. The only time we ever heard her yell was at my Papa, and it was always in Italian so it just made us laugh.

Above all, she was a woman of faith. God gave her the gift of many, many wonderful years with her family, and one of His last gifts was allowing her time with Henry. She didn't remember much in the end, but she remembered Henry, or "Our Baby", as she called him. The last time I saw her was at Christmas, and she pulled me aside in her kitchen, held my hand and said, "My mind isn't very good anymore, but I will never forget how much I love Henry." And while Henry won't remember his time spent with her, he will know his Great Grandma Fran because when it comes to being a Mother, and hopefully Grandmother one day, I hope to be just like her - a woman who gave herself to God and her family.







7 comments:

  1. what a treasure of a lady! so sorry for this loss, danielle...what an example for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle,

    What a searingly beautiful tribute to your dear Grandmother. She was an exceptionally kind, gracious, dignified, loving woman and it was an honor to have known her.

    As she pulled you aside at Christmas time to talk about Henry, she pulled me aside at your baby shower for Henry, and spoke with me about all of my sons. I was simply amazed that she remembered all of their names.

    She will live on through the goodness and kindness she showered on others. Grandma Fran certainly rests in peace

    Love and Blessings,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world lost a wonderful Grandmother and mother-in-law today. Jonathan is dancing and singing in Heaven to welcome her to Heaven.
    She taught me all the lessons on being the best Grandma in the world.
    My life was truly enriched by having Fran Longo love me and her grandchildren, Danielle and Jonathan. She stood by my side through many happy, sad and difficult times. I am thankful to God that she was an important part of my life. I know she has already put the pot of sauce on the stove in Heaven to fatten the Angels ! Mangia !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post for a sweet lady!! I'm so glad she got to meet Henry! Love y'all and will be thinking about y'all these next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle and family,
    My deepest sympathy. What a blessing to have had her that long..Praying for strength for the family during this sad time.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle,

    I'm so sorry for your loss. Your Grandma Fran was a loving person with a beautiful soul. HUGS and Prayers for you and your family!

    Aunt Nadie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle,
    What a beautiful tribute for your Grandma Fran. She was all that you said and more. She will be sorely missed but she leaves behind memories to treasure and that all can pass on. What a legacy of love and strength. God Bless you all, Aunt Mary and family

    ReplyDelete