"Mama, what's the Picture Show?"
"It's a movie theater. They play movies on a big screen there."
"How big is the screen?"
"Bigger than our garage! And they turn off the lights during the movie. And you get to eat snacks."
"Well, how can you see your snacks then? I bet that's messy since you're not eating in the kitchen with lights."
And so it started. Every time we passed the theater he would ask if there was a kids' movie playing. Last weekend Big Hero 6 was playing, so Henry and I went on our first movie date.
"Henry, would you like to go to the movie theater?"
"Yeah, yeah, yeah! Mama, I just love you so much!"
"I love you, Henry! This is going to be so much fun!"
"You can say that again!"
Henry and I shared a tub of popcorn that was the size of a small child. We barely made a dent in the tub because Henry was more interested in the gummy candy. He had his first taste of a slurpee, too, but he didn't like it - "Too spicy, Mama." Once the movie started, Henry put down the snacks and intently focused on the film. He is a very serious moviegoer. No laughing. No crying. He takes it all in. During the last fight scene, he watched without expression, his little hands clenched. I leaned over to ask if he was okay, and he shushed me.



No comments:
Post a Comment