We spent Longo family Christmas at Mimi and Papa's house. Zia Bella, Uncle Joe and Aunt Cathy, Uncle Lou and Aunt Ter, cousins Jack and Marissa, and Great Papa. We live in different places now, but we were all together then and it was perfect.
A couple days later the Longo-DeGeorgeo family gathered for a reunion at the Venetian Club. The boys played bocce ball for the first time, or rather they chased the balls up and down the court. The boys ate what picky Italian kids have always eaten - buttered noodles. John had a roll with "sprinkles," too.
The next night, Papa, Mimi, and Zia were nice enough to take us once again to the Huckleberry Express, although we almost didnt make it. We ran down the platform, dropping hats and gloves (but not kids) on the way, but we made the train. Last passengers on board. "All aboard," the conductor yelled, just as we found our seats.
On Christmas Eve, Mimi prepared our traditional Italian seafood feast. Henry and John again ate buttered noodles and bread. Peter ate three slices of italian bread before I cut him off. After dinner the matching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pajamas came out, and Papa read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. Peter went to sleep. The boys stayed up for Happy Birthday Jesus cake.
On Christmas morning, I woke up with the stomach flu so I spent the day in bed. Thanks to Mimi for taking over camera duty. I don't think the boys missed me too much. Henry received a mini-golf set, super heroes, lincoln logs, and legos. John opened his gifts to find Mack the Truck, ninja turtles, books, and puzzles (including one of the Makris circus). Peter received a baby walker, a police car, a firetruck, and moccasins.
And then some sad news. My sweet Papa, Louis John Longo, passed away the day after Christmas. He was 85. We had him, and he had us, for many, many years. And we had him, and he had us, for one more night at our Longo family Christmas before he left. I will treasure those photos. I take comfort in knowing that he's with my Grandma Fran now - "Louie!"





































No comments:
Post a Comment