Monday, August 10, 2015

John's Very First Day of School

On his very first day of school, John woke up with a smile on his face and lots to say at breakfast. "You get to go to preschool when you're three. And I'm three now. Sorry, Peter. You have to stay home with Mama so she's not alone." It's nice to know that he didn't want me to be lonely. John requested chocolate chip pancakes to eat. I stuck a candle in them and sang the traditional "Happy First Day of School to you" song, but he looked at me like I was crazy. Peter did not understand the hoopla either, but he was happy to see that his breakfast included chocolate chips.

After a brief photo shoot, we drove to school. John walked right past his classmates crying and clinging to their parents in the hallway. He hung up his bag, walked into his classroom, and found his name tag. He looked back quickly to wave good-bye and that was it.

Three hours later, I picked him up and discovered that he (unlike Henry) likes to chat about school. He told me what they ate for snack, where they played on the playground, how they sit for story time, and who didn't follow the rules. He was quick to tell me, "I followed all the rules, Mama. I listened to the teacher. I was a nice friend. I worked hard. I didn't cry. And I didn't pick my nose." And so he was rewarded with a special lunch waiting at home for him - Chick-fil-a! After lunch, he showed me his artwork. He had attempted to write his own name on his paper, "just like Henry does". I'd say he is off to the right start!

























1 comment:

  1. John, Awesome first day at school. We love you so very much, Aunt Mary and Uncle Bobby

    ReplyDelete