Friday, August 14, 2015

Remarkable Reader

Do you remember Kindergarten?  I do.  I colored and played.  I liked glue sticks and play-doh.

Henry will have different memories.  These days you learn the letters.  You get an orange dot for that.  Then you learn the letter sounds.  You get a blue dot for that.  Next you learn your "sight" words - those words you are encouraged to memorize as a whole by sight, so that you can recognize them without having to use any strategies to decode them.

You start with about 10, and when you learn those, you get the red part of the rainbow.  When you learn another 10, you get the orange part, and so on - yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet - until you learn your first 75.  Congratulations, you earned your Reading Rainbow!  Now you have just 50 more words to go, and then you know the 125 sight words that you are supposed to know by the end of Kindergarten.

The first week of school Henry knocked out his dots, rainbow, and 50 additional words.  A week later he knocked out the sight words for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade.  I am proud of him.





1 comment:

  1. Henry, WAY to GO!!! Congratulations! We love you, Aunt Mary and Uncle Bobby

    ReplyDelete